What Exactly is The “Act of God Clause”​

Act of God

Most home insurance policies cover damage that your property obtains from typical bad weather events. Such as; windstorms, lightning/hail storms, wildfires, hurricanes, and tornadoes. These events in your property insurance paperwork are referred to as an “Act of God”. There are two main “Acts of God” not covered by most insurances and those are floods and earthquakes.

This provision was created to protect homeowners from things that they have no control over. If a hurricane is barreling towards your home you can not put it on wheels and move it away (in most cases). Therefore you can not be penalized for the property being damaged by said storm. A good distinction is a hurricane is an “Act of God”. A pipe leaking in your home is not because you could have prevented that through routine maintenance.


Most homeowners insurance policies cover damage from hurricane winds and wind-driven rain. However, hurricane storm surges and ensuing flood damage are not covered in a standard policy. You’ll need to add separate flood insurance to supplement that gap in coverage. If you live in an area with a particularly high hurricane risk, you may also need to pay a wind or hurricane deductible before your insurance company will pay out for wind or hurricane-related losses. Insurance companies in communities on the Gulf and Atlantic Coast are also known to exclude wind damage from coverage. If that’s the case, you’ll need to look into separate windstorm insurance.


Homeowners insurance protects your home and personal belongings from wind damage caused by tornadoes. Your policy also covers hail, fallen tree damage and removal, and debris removal. Similar to hurricane losses, your insurer may also require you to pay a separate wind/hail deductible if your home is damaged by a tornado. Water damage from wind-driven rain during a tornado may also be covered if your rainwater gets in. 

Lightning storms and strikes

A standard homeowners insurance policy will cover damage caused by lightning, including fire and power surges.


Homeowner’s insurance typically protects your property from fire and smoke damage from wildfires. However, if you live in a fire-prone region, like California, you may have a difficult time getting coverage. Homeowners struggling to find coverage have a couple of options: surplus or excess lines carriers that specialize in high-risk properties, a Fair Access to Insurance Requirements, or a Fair plan which is a high-risk insurance pool offered in most states.

Acts of God that are not covered by homeowners insurance

Damage from certain natural disasters are covered by standard homeowners insurance, but not all. If you live in a region that’s prone to a particular act of God, like flooding and earthquakes, you’ll need to add separate flood and earthquake insurance to your policy to be fully covered.


Water damage is generally covered by homeowners insurance if it is sudden and accidental, like a pipe burst. However, homeowners insurance won’t cover water damage from plumbing backups, gradual leaks, or flooding. You’ll need to purchase flood insurance through the Nation flood insurance program to cover your home from flood damage. If you’re mortgaging a home in a special flood hazard area, your lender may also require you to purchase flood insurance.

How do homeowners insurance cover acts of God?

Homeowner’s insurance may cover property damage to your home and belongings if they’re damaged by an act of God. Below are some ways your coverage will protect you:

  • Dwelling coverage: If the structure of your home is damaged or destroyed by a covered act of God, like a windstorm or lightning strike, dwelling coverage can help pay to repair or rebuild your home. 
  • Other structures coverage: Other structures coverage would cover the cost of repairs to detached structures on your property, like a shed or gazebo if they’re damaged by an act of God. 
  • Personal property coverage: If your belongings are destroyed by an act of God, homeowners insurance may help pay to repair or replace them.
  • Loss of use coverage: If an act of God damages your home to the point that it’s unsafe for you to live in, your policy may help pay for the cost of additional living expenses, like hotels, public transportation, and restaurant meals, while your home is being repaired.

Contact Us

    By Big Time Roof Team | Jun Wed, 2022| Roofing Advice